Growing the community - Introduce yourself

Hi all, I thought this might be a way to get the community going, I hope no-one minds.

My name is Neal, I live in Sydney Australia with my partner Danielle and our nine-year-old son, Harry. I’m a computer programmer and writer, working on my second book.

I want to share the moment when I first went ‘down the rabbit hole’ which took place on Valentines day according to my Youtube history, so appropriate given I’ve not only gone head over heels but have remained faithful ever since :blush:

I was dabbling in the stock market (ie breaking even) and kept hearing about Bitcoin so I went to Youtube and I found this: The rise and Rise of Bitcoin and found it absolutely mind-blowing.

From the two pizzas for 10,000 BTC; the brilliant yet enigmatic Satoshi Nakomoto who has remained anonymous to this day (how can this be!); the incredible simplicity of his genius idea; the staggering rise in Bitcoin’s value; how blockchain technology can change everything, especially for the world’s poorest people.

I felt so dumb, like I had been living under a rock. I felt so silly that I had not discovered it earlier, when Bitcoin was $1 or $10 or $100 or even a thousand dollars!

Either way, I was hooked. I started looking around crypto with ever-increasing wonder and found all kinds of amazing coins (don’t get me started …).

I was like a child let loose in the greatest toy store imaginable and it was only a matter of time before I stumbled upon Defi ‘the computer gaming / virtual reality’ section of the toy store, if you ask me. I find Defi so fascinating that I want to write about it, develop Dapps in solidity, get involved in governance, I come up with new ideas every day.

Danielle says I’m becoming a crypto bore but Harry is more enthusiastic – he can name at least twenty crypto coins, he advises me to ‘hodl’ whenever the market slips and I’m proud to say that he now has a cat in Minecraft called Vitalik! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Anyway, hello from us (currently in covid lockdown) from Sydney, Down Under.

Feel free to introduce yourself because that is how a community grows and if you want to share your own ‘rabbit hole’ story, you’ll get a guaranteed like from me. Cheers.

4 Likes